Thursday, February 1, 2007

What a Prayer Life!

Last night, I did my devotions from James 5:13-18. These verses all talk about the aspect of prayer. James tells us that we need to pray about basically everything. He starts by telling the afflicted to pray, the merry to sing psalms, and the sick to seek out the elders in the church so that they may pray for him. The part that gets me is 16 b, "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." That is a verse to take to heart. I need to be more effectual and fervent in my prayer life if I want to see God work. James then proceeds to tell us about Elijah and the way he prayed. James 5:17-18, "Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit." . . .Wow! That is an amazing prayer life. I hope that this will be an encouragement and a challenge to all of you as I know it was for me.

No comments: